If you’re an EUEEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. 

Keep on reading to find out how to apply, get help with your application and to find any support from local organisations.

→ When you can apply

The EU Settlement Scheme is open. You can apply now if you meet the criteria. The deadlines are different in some situations, for example if:

Which status you get may depend on when you apply.

The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021 and you must usually have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. Please note, it is free to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

→ What you’ll get

If you apply to the EU Settlement Scheme successfully, you’ll be able to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021.

You’ll be given either:

  • settled status: You’ll usually get settled status if you’ve lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period (known as ‘continuous residence’)
  • pre-settled status: If you have not lived in the UK for 5 years in a row (known as ‘continuous residence’), you’ll usually get pre-settled status. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 unless you are applying as the existing close family member of an EUEEA or Swiss citizen who started living here by then. You can stay in the UK for a further 5 years from the date you get pre-settled status.

You will not be asked to choose which you’re applying for. Which status you get depends on how long you’ve been living in the UK when you apply. Your rights will be different depending on which status you get and when you started living in the UK.

With settled or pre-settled status, you’ll be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS for free, if you can at the moment
  • enrol in education or study in the UK
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

You’ll have different rights if you get settled or pre-settled status because you’ve applied to join your EUEEA or Swiss family member and you arrived in the UK after 31 December 2020. For example, you will not be able to bring your own family members under the EU Settlement Scheme.

→ Help with your application

The government’s assisted digital service can help you with your application if you do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device or do not have internet access.

Please note, this service does not offer immigration advice. Call 03333 445 675 or text ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944: Monday to Friday 9am-6pm or Saturday 9am-4pm.

Access the government’s assisted digital service here.

→ Support from local organisations

In Liverpool, we value our diverse communities and hope EU citizens living in our city wish to continue to call Liverpool home.

Although the council cannot give advice or help with your application, other organisations in Liverpool offer free support to vulnerable people who want to apply for settled or pre-settled status.

Remember, applying is free and most people do not need to pay a solicitor or adviser to help them apply.

Find out more